Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free?

My grandmother use to say the whole free milk thing about sex, hoping to discourage my libido.  Not sure it worked there, but it totally applies to writing.  And acting.  And actually making friends.     

I find myself giving away everything in the first few chapters - so eager to be loved am I - that I hinder the joy for the reader who wants to go along for the ride.  When I think about it, if I'm reading a great  book, I don't want it to end. I want the story teller to keep me on the edge of my seat.  I regret that there are so few pages left - THE MISTS OF AVALON - I actually put myself on a diet of 50 pages a day so the book could last longer.  Oh and THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - yet another book that I needed a page diet.

So here is Cindy's epiphany number 4, 568, 902 - B.  At least when it comes to the first few chapters, only give what you must absolutely give - trust that you have a story worth reading.

With acting - isn't less more?

Now if I could only apply this to me.  If I don't jump in hands, feet and head, would people still want to hang in and want to get to know me?

No comments:

Post a Comment